Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How to make chicken taste really good...


Ever since I started making the bbq sauce from the "Grain Free Gourmet" cookbook, my chicken never tasted this good! In fact, my family never quite cared for chicken. Flipping through cookbooks for ideas, I was always disappointed with the traditional brown sugar & ketchup combination. Fortunately, I discovered this sauce, and we now enjoy chicken to the very bone...
2/3 cup homemade Tomato Paste (tomato juice cooked for a long time until it becomes a thick paste, if lazy, see below)
2/3 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (I use Prima)
2 Garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until combined.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Smear the chicken generously with sauce. Bake at 375F for 2 hrs covered, and 25 minutes uncovered.
4. Any remaining sauce, pour into 4 oz. cups with lids and store in the freezer. When using sauce from freezer, there is no need to thaw, since it stays "sauce-like" in the freezer.
*For those of you turned off by the tomato paste prep, I have a solution for you! You can use the Lusardi's Marinara Sauce instead, and skip the last three ingredients.
*I triple this recipe and it lasts me for quite a while. When I'm down to one container I know that I gotta "plant" some more seeds to my freezer garden : )
Print this post

3 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a BBQ sauce from tomato paste for a while. Guess I missed it last time I looked through the cookbook.

I also like freezing it in small portions. So handy!

RaLou said...

Thanks for this recipe. The taste is wonderful, but mine always turns out really runny. The recipe says to "smear it on the chicken", but mine has to be "poured" on. What am I doing wrong? BYW, I use the marinara sauce instead of making my own tomato sauce.

Esther Russ said...

That's because you're not cooking the sauce long enough. Cook the sauce until it thickens to desired consistency. Enjoy :)